HOW TO BUILD YOUR SMALL BUSINESS WEBSITE ON WORDPRESS
A crucial aspect for establishing the online presence of a small business is creating a website. Most small businesses do not have the resources to outsource this work. Beginner-friendly platforms like WordPress can be used in this situation. A properly built website can be a sales tool in itself.
WordPress is one of the most trusted and used platforms for creating a website. It is used by both large and small businesses around the world. Being a highly utilized platform, there is no dearth of assistance to resolve issues relating to creating or operating your WordPress website. For small businesses, WordPress is the ideal choice to establish an online presence. The WordPress Open Source CMS is free. Only the domain, hosting and maintenance if any, have to be paid for.
The steps for creating your WordPress website are as follows:
- Pick your domain name
It is important to pick a domain name that aligns with your business and its name. It should also be unique to avoid any confusion with other brands and businesses. An online domain name generator can also be used to assist you while selecting a name. This can be country-specific, containing a suffix like .in, .uk or .com, or can be organization-specific, such as .biz or .org. Some aspects to keep in mind while coming up with a domain name are that it should be easy to spell, must not be too long so as to make it difficult for people to find it, and ensuring that the domain name bears similarity to your business name.
Branding improves the recognition of your business and leads to customers repeatedly purchasing from your website. Design a logo that is in tune with your business, or hire a graphic designer to do so.
3. Building your website You can build your website with knowledge of basic HTML and CSS or by using a WordPress page builder. Page builders enable you to customize your website building experience without the hassle of writing the codes. Alternatively, you may hire a web-designer or developer to assist you with this step.
4. Find your hosting provider
There are many beginner-friendly options for hosting companies, such as Bluehost, which is recommended by WordPress. Bluehost has a one-click WordPress installation option available.
5. Select a theme or template
Numerous themes and templates are present on WordPress for you to select from which can further be customized. Most of these templates are free of cost. These themes can be accessed from your WordPress dashboard from ‘Appearance > Themes’. After selecting, installing and activating a particular theme, it can be customized to your liking.
6. Add your content
Good content will ensure that visitors stay on your website and make a purchasing decision. Plan out the structure of your website well in advance and begin adding your content immediately after you customize your website.
This generally includes:
● A homepage: Since this is what the visitors would see first, it must comprise a general overview of what your business is about and what you offer. It should also have clear instructions to navigate to other sections of the website.
● Products page: This section would contain the products or services that you intend to sell to your customers and a brief description about them.
● About page: This page would comprise of information about your brand and your team. It can contain your brand’s values, a short background, etc.
● Contact page: This section should contain the essential contact information such as email ID and phone number for customers to be able to reach you if required. Including a contact form within the website would also be ideal for ease of contact.
● Blog: While a blog may not usually be seen as a requisite part of a business website, its importance has increased largely these days. It is a highly effective tool for marketing and can increase the visitors to your website. WordPress allows you to easily create blog posts on your website.
While adding content, it is imperative to highlight what sets your products or services apart from the rest.
7. Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization would enable customers to find your website once you create it. It means modifying your content in such a way that it would rank higher on the result pages of search engines. This can be achieved by usage of certain keywords in your pages and posts, ensuring that your website runs on all devices, speed of your website, including internal and external links. among others. Additionally, you may also install an SEO plugin on your WordPress website which would suggest tips for optimization.
8. Publish your website
Your website on WordPress would be publicly visible once you have installed the WordPress software on your hosting account. It is important to run some last minute checks before promoting your website, such as opening your website on different devices to check whether it works, re-reading your content to eliminate the probability of mistakes, etc. Once this is complete, your website is ready and you may start promoting it on various platforms to gain visitors.
Once your basic website is ready, you can start adding more features and expand your reach online.